Blueberry Hand Pie Recipe
September 17, 2014 | western
Blueberry Hand Pies
1/2 cup sugar
3 tbsps cornstarch
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp lemon zest, freshly grated
1 tbsp lemon juice, fresh
2 cups (1 pt.) blueberries, fresh
pinch of salt
1 egg yolk
1 lb. pie crust dough or puff pastry dough
1. Whisk the 1/2 cup of sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, and lemon zest together in a small bowl. Mix the lemon juice, blueberries, and salt until the berries are wet. Toss the sugar mixture into the blueberries and mix until the berries are evenly coated.
2. Roll the dough out to about 1/8-inch thickness and cut into 8-10 square or rectangular pieces (you are welcome to make circular or whatever funny shapes you want).
3. In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolk and 2 tablespoons of water together. Place 1-2 tablespoons of blueberry filling on half of each pastry. Brush the edges of the pastry with the egg wash and fold the pastry in half, sealing in the blueberries. Press the edges together then crimp with a fork.
4. Chill the hand pies in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
5. Remove the hand pies from the refrigerator and brush the tops with the egg wash. Slice a few vents in the tops of each pie to allow steam to escape. Sprinkle the pies with turbinado sugar. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden (this will depend on the pastry you use). Makes 8-10 hand pies.